Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Run baby run

I am going to start off by taking full responsibility for slacking off in cross country in high school. However, maybe I would have tried a little harder if all the focus wasn't on how amazing our varsity team was. Don't get me wrong, they were amazing. Cross country made me be involved and create friendships I may have never had in high school i.e. my two favorite Annies (T and L). Only problem is, I was never able to better my talent because no one cared to coach me or show me that I was COMPLETELY RUNNING IN THE WRONG FORM. Which ultimately, led me to have a completely jacked up knee...which will just give out at random or my knee cap will lock but, my leg still turns...it's the most painful thing and pretty disgusting feeling even to think about.
I will never forget the first time JJ and I went to run at the track before our wedding. He said to me, "Why are you running like that?" I said, "Huh? What do you mean....I ALWAYS run like this?" He said, "Well, no wonder your knee is all jacked up...you aren't running right." I was flabbergasted...I had NO idea what he was talking about or that there was a "correct form" to running. He told me, "Babe, you are just pounding your feet into the ground, you need a little bounce..." So he shows me the right way, and I felt like a complete idiot out there telling my body to do something it was never used to. Here I was trying to impress my future hubby that I could run with the best of them...turns out...I'm a klutz. Okay, well I'm still a klutz, but I wasn't aware of it until JJ lovingly pointed it out.
Yesterday, was day two of the "body by JJ" as my Mom likes to call it workout. He had me running on the treadmill, in the right form, and it was hard. I'm not going to lie...it was hard. I literally have to tell my feet where to go and tell my back what posture it needs to be in. It feels a little ridiculous. But, like I said, I am determined to better myself. I ran for 12 mins straight...HELLO...12 MINS!! And! I probably could have gone more, but JJ wanted me to focus on the task and not over do it. This from a girl who would run 5 mins. and say..."ahh, screw it!" I told my Mom that if they weren't there I would have given up already.
You know what else I learned yesterday that I NEVER knew. If you have a warm up that makes you exert a lot of energy and really focuses on your core...then you have A BETTER workout then if you just started cold turkey. HELLO!!?!?!? Did I miss this somewhere in my life? Ugh. This is why I love my husband...every day or almost every day I learn something I didn't know.
I felt terrible about my lack of strength during the workout. I feel so old and weak...18 months out of two years of puking and being pregnant really did a number on my muscles. But! Not using this as an excuse and I am going to try to get better.
I love JJ for his patience of my mom and I whining. Next workout is Friday...I will let you know how it goes.

1 comment: